Thornton le Moors is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hapsford, Wimbolds Trafford, Elton, Durham on the Hill, Dunham on the Hill, and Dunham.
Alternative names: Thornton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1588
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THORNTON-LE-MOORS, a parish, with five townships, in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; 1½ mile WNW of Dunham r. station, and 6 NNE of Chester. It contains Dunham-on-the-Hill, which has a post-office under Preston-Brook. Acres, 4,866. Real property, £8,156. Pop., 913. Houses, 158. T. manor belongs to G. Legh, Esq.; and Dunham manor, to the Earl of Shrewsbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £600. Patrons, Hulme’s Trustees. The parochial church is later English; and a church at Dunham was built in 1862. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £31.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Chester
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Eddisbury
- Province: York