Tarvin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Foulk Stapleford, Faulk Stapleford, Duddon, Clotton Hoolfield, Clotton Hoofield, Clotton, Burton by Tarvin, Bruen Stapleford, Ashton Hayes, Ashton, Stapleford, Oscroft, Mouldsworth, Little Mouldsworth, Kelsall on the Hill, Kelsall, Horton with Peele, Horton cum Peele, Horton cum Peel, Hockenhull Stapleford, Hockenhull, Hockenhall, and Hargrave.
Alternative names: Tarvin with Oscroft
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1563
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1584
- Parish registers: 1849
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1849
- Parish registers: 1744
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632
Nonconformists include: Calvinistic Methodist, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TARVIN, a village, a township, and a parish, in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Waverton r. station, and 5½ E of Chester; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Chester, and fairs on 20 April and 2 Dec. The township includes Oscroft hamlet, and comprises 2,007 acres. Real property, £5,886. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 244. The manor belongs to Mrs. Milburn. The parish contains also ten other townships, and comprises 10,571 acres. Pop. in 1851, 3,511; in 1861, 3,319. Houses, 680. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelries of Duddon and Kelsall, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £600. The church is chiefly later English, and has a fine tower. The p. curacy of Ashton-Hayes and the donative of Hargrave are separate benefices. Three dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, and a national school are in T. township; and various places of worship and public schools are in the other townships. Charities, £276.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Chester
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Broxton; Eddisbury
- Province: York