Tarporley, Cheshire Family History Guide

Tarporley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cheshire.

Other places in the parish include: Rushton, Utkinton, and Eaton.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Helen

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1557
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600

Nonconformists include: General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Tarporley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TARPORLEY, a small town, a township, and a parish, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The town stands 2 miles N of Beeston r. station, and 10 ESE of Chester; dates from considerably ancient times; is a polling place, and the headquarters of the Cheshire Hunt; consists chiefly of one winding-street, about ½ a mile long; and has a head post-office, a hotel, a market-hall conjoined with the hotel, a good public hall, a police station, an ancient church restored in 1868, a Wesleyan chapel built in 1867, Baptist and Primitive Methodists chapels, a literary and scientific institution, an endowed national school with £20 a year, charities £77, a weekly market on Thursday, and three annual fairs. The township comprises 1,144 acres. Real property, £4,904. Pop., 1,212. Houses, 255. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 6,057 acres. Pop., 2,577. Houses. 529. Portal Lodge, Salters-Well house , and Arderne Hall are chief residences. Beeston Rock is surmounted by ruins of an ancient stronghold. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £704. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester, Lord Binning, Sir P. Egerton, Bart., and the Hon. Miss Arden. Two dissenting chapels, two national schools, and a charity school are in the parts beyond T. township.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

TARPORLEY (St. Helen), a market-town and parish, in the union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the townships of Eaton, Rushton, and Utkinton, 2546 inhabitants, of whom 1114 are in Tarporley township, 10½ miles (E. S. E.) from Chester, and 172 (N. W.) from London. This place, which is situated on the road from Chester to London, has a neat appearance, and consists of one long well-paved street, terminated at the southern extremity by the ancient manor-house. The Chester and Crewe railway passes near the town. At the close of the 13th century, a grant of a market and fair was obtained by Hugh de Thorpley, proprietor of the manor; the market is on Thursday, and fairs are held on May 1st, the first Monday after August 24th, and on December 11th. The town was governed by a mayor from 1297 to 1348; two constables are now appointed. The township of Tarporley comprises 1109 acres, of which the prevailing soil is clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £20. 3. 4., and in the joint patronage of Lord Alvanley, the Dean and Chapter of Chester, and Sir P. G. Egerton, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £700, and the glebe comprises 12 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient structure, of red stone, containing some good monuments to benefactors of the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school, situated in the churchyard, was endowed with £20 per annum by Dame Jane Done, who also left a small bequest for apprenticing children: the school is now united with the Diocesan Board of Education.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Eaton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

EATON, a township, in the parish of Tarporley, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 1½ mile (E. N. E.) from Tarporley, containing 525 inhabitants. This manor, which was granted by John Scott, Earl of Chester, to Hugh Fitton, was afterwards successively in the Greys, earls of Kent, and the Hintons, and appears to have been subsequently in the family of Done. The township lies east of the road from Tarporley to Warrington, and comprises 1251 acres, of a strong soil. The tithes of Eaton, with those of Utkinton and Rushton, have been commuted for £509. 5. Schools are partly supported by endowment.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Rushton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

RUSHTON, a township, in the parish of Tarporley, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of Cheshire, 2½ miles (E. N E.) from Tarporley; containing 301 inhabitants. It comprises 1700 acres, of which the soil is chiefly clay, with sand.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Utkinton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

UTKINTON, a township, in the parish of Tarporley, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Tarporley; containing 606 inhabitants. It comprises 1779 acres, of a heavy soil. A. national school, built in 1844 by public grants, is licensed by the bishop for divine service.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Census

England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales Census, 1911

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog - Free

Cheshire

Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000 - FamilySearch

Cheshire Bishop’s Transcripts, 1598-1900 - FamilySearch

England, Cheshire Non-conformist Records, 1671-1900

England, Cheshire Probate Records, 1492-1940

England, Cheshire Workhouse Records, 1848-1967

England, Cheshire, Land Tax Assessments, 1778-1832

England, Cheshire, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1606-1900

England, Cheshire, Register of Electors, 1842-1900

England, Cheshire, School Records, 1796-1950

Records for England

Births and Baptism Records

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Marriage Records

England Marriages, 1538–1973

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Death Records

England Death Records, 1998-2015

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

England and Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1640-1660

Non-Conformist Records

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977

Occupations

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

War and Conflict

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners’ Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Nantwich
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Chester
  • Poor Law Union: Nantwich
  • Hundred: Eddisbury
  • Province: York