Sutton St George is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1835 from Prestbury Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1823
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUTTON, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Prestbury parish, Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The township is partly in Macclesfield borough; extends 4 miles SSE of M. town; and contains a suburb of that town, and the village of Langley. Acres, 4,460. Real property, £21,374; of which £399 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 7,525; in 1861, 6,756. Houses, 1,623. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the silk trade. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Queen. There are many handsome villa residences. The township shares in the manufactures of Macclesfield. The chapelries are St. George and St. James; and were constituted, the former in 1835, the latter in 1860. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300 and £140. Patrons, Trustees. St. George’s church is in Macclesfie1d, and was originally a dissenting chapel. St. James’ church is near Lane-Ends, was built in 1840, and is in the early English style. There are two dissenting chapels, and two national schools. The sub-district includes two other townships, and comprises 11,420 acres. Pop., 7,392. Houses, 1,758.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York