Stoak is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Little Stanney.
Alternative names: Stoke, Stoke near Chester
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1573
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOKE, a township in Great Boughton district, and a parish partly also in Wirral district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey canal, 2½ miles W of Dunham-Hill r. station, and 4¾ N by E of Chester. Acres, 706. Real property, £1,038. Pop., 102. Houses, 15. The parish contains also Great and Little Stanney townships, and part of Whitby. Post town, Chester. Acres, 2,749. Pop., 431. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £130. Patron, Sir J. Bunbury, Bart. The church was restored in 1827. Charities, £28.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York