Smallwood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1848 from Astbury Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1857
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1857
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SMALLWOOD, a township-chapelry in Astbury parish, Cheshire; 3 miles ESE of Sandbach, and 3¾ NNW of Kidsgrove-Junction r. station. It has a post-office under Stoke-on-Trent. Acres, 2,133. Real property, £4,392. Pop., 590. Houses, 122. S. House and Moss End are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100. Patron, the Rector of Astbury. The church was built in 1845, and is in the early English style. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SMALLWOOD, a township, in the parish of Astbury, union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, three miles (E. by S.) from Sandbach; containing 606 inhabitants. The manor was successively in the families of Mainwaring, Audley, Hawkestone, Egerton, and Willoughby; it was sold by the last to Sir William Brereton, and afterwards came by purchase to the Powis family. Thomas Jelph Powis, Esq., sold it to the late Mr. Holland Ackers, of Manchester. The township lies on the road from Knutsford to Newcastle-under-Lyme, and comprises an area of 1955 acres, of which the soil is partly clay, and partly sand. A church was erected in 1845, at a cost of £1500, on a site given by R. B. Levitt, Esq.; it is a small edifice in the early English style, with a bell-turret, and will accommodate 300 persons. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Astbury, who has endowed it with £25 per annum: there is a parsonage-house, built by subscription, on half an acre of land. The rents of an estate called Pinfold House, situated near Brookhouse-Green, within the township, left by William Furnival, of Sandbach, in 1760, are for the most part distributed among indigent housekeepers and other poor inhabitants; a portion of them is expended in apprenticing children.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Congleton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Middlewich
- Poor Law Union: Congleton
- Hundred: Northwich
- Province: York