Shotwick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Capenhurst, Little Saughall, Woodbank, and Great Saughall.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1681
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1591
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHOTWICK, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies 2¾ miles WSW of Ledsham r. station, and 5½ NW of Chester. Acres, 570. Real property, £819. Pop., 98. Houses, 18. The parish contains also the townships of Capenhurst, Woodbank, Little Saughall, and Great Saughall; the last of which has a post-office under Chester. Acres, 3,574. Pop., 931. Houses, 183. Shotwick manor belongs to J. N. Bennett, Esq.; Capenhurst manor, to the Rev. R. Richardson; and Saughall manors, to H. B. Trelawney, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100. The church is partly Norman, chiefly early English; and the chancel was recently restored. The rectory of Capenhurst is a separate benefice. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school, two national schools, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York