Shocklach is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Church Shocklach, Shocklach Oviatt, and Caldecott.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1585
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHOCKLACH, two townships in Wrexham district, and a parish partly also in Great Boughton district, and all in Cheshire. The townships are S.-Church and S.-Oviatt; and lie on the river Dee, 4½ miles NW of Malpas, and 7½ E of Wrexham r. station. Acres, 1,239 and 1,022. Real property, £1,478 and £1,914. Pop., 180 and 168. Houses, 30 and 36. The manor belongs to Sir R. Puleston, Bart. The parish contains also the township of Caldecott, and comprises 2,691 acres. Post town, Farndon, under Chester. Pop., 414. Houses, 77. The manor belongs to T. T. Drake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £107. Patron, Sir R. Puleston, Bart. The church is ancient but good. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wrexham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Malpas
- Poor Law Union: Wrexham
- Hundred: Broxton
- Province: York