Rostherne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Tatton, Bollington, Agden near Altrincham, Agden, Acton, Mere, Tabley Superior, Snelson, Over Tabley, and Millington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1594
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROSTHERNE, a village and a township in Altrincham district, and a parish partly also in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands 3½ miles N of Knutsford r. station, and has a post-office under Knutsford. The township comprises 1,512 acres. Real property, £2,679. Pop., 393. Houses, 80. The parish contains also the townships of Tatton, Marthall, Mere, Peover-Superior, Tabley-Superior, Millington, High Leigh, Snelson, and part of Agden. Acres, 19,096. Pop. in 1851, 4,190; in 1861, 4,058. Houses, 758. R. township belongs to Lord Egerton; Bollington, to the Earl of Stamford; Agden, to Sir J. L. N. Chetwode, Bart.; Mere, chieflyto T. J. L. Brooke, Esq.; and High Leigh, to Lord Egerton, E. Leigh, Esq., and G.Legh, Esq. Tatton H all is the seat of Lord Egerton; Rostherne New Hall, of the Hon. W. Egerton; Agden Hall, of T. S. Bazley, Esq.; Mere New Hall, of T. J. L. Brooke, Esq.; High Leigh Hall, of G.Legh, Esq.; and West Hall, of Major E. Leigh. Rostherne mere is a lake of 118 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Bollington and Hoo-Green, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £325. Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is debased later English; consists of nave, aisles, side-chapels, and chancel, with porch and pinnacled tower; and containsmonuments of the Egertons. The p. curacies of Marthall, High Leigh, and Over-Tabley, and the chaplaincy of High Leigh, are separate benefices. Chapels of ease are at Bollington and Hoo-Green; and chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, are in Millington. There are several public schools, and charities £102. Martin-dale, an ejected minister, was vicar.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow; Macclesfield
- Province: York