Rock Ferry is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1844 from Bebington Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: New Ferry.
Alternative names: Higher Bebington St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1844
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Nether Bebington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROCK-FERRY, a village and a chapelry in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, 1½ mile SSE of Birkenhead; consisted, about 1835, of only 3 or 4 houses; is now a considerable suburb of Birkenhead; contains many handsome villas; and has a post-office under Birkenhead, a r. station, and a half-hourly steam-boat-ferry to Liverpool. The chapelry includes also the village and iron pier of New Ferry, and was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 2,086. Houses, 336. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £161. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1842; and is in the Norman style, with tower and spire. A Wesleyan chapel is at Rock-Ferry; and national schools and a Brethren’s chapel are at New-Ferry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York