Prestbury, Cheshire Family History Guide

Prestbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire. Adlington, Birtles, Sutton, and Bosley are chapelries of Prestbury.

Other places in the parish include: Upton, Woodford, Tytherington, Titherington, St Andrew Mottram, Eaton, Fallibroome, Butley, Fallybroom, Fallybroome, Kettleshulme, Lower Withington, Lyme Handley, Mottram St Andrew, Newton, Newton near Macclesfield, and Old Withington.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Prestbury

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1586

Woodford

  • Parish registers: 1842
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1842

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PRESTBURY, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Bollin, near the Manchester and Macclesfield railway, 2¼ miles NNW of Macclesfield; is a neat place; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Macclesfield, and fairs on 28 April and 22 Oct. The township comprises 620 acres. Real property, £2,017. Pop., 358. Houses, 76. The manor belongs to R. B. Legh, Esq. P. Hall is the residence of R. Andrew, Esq. The parish contains also the townships of Worth, Poynton, Wood ford, Newton, Adlington, Butley, Mottram, St. Andrew, Fallybroom, Upton, Tytherington, Hurdsfield, Bollington, Pott-Shrigley, Lyme-Handley, Kettleshulme, Rainow, Macclesfield, Macclesfield-Forest, Sutton, Wildboarclough, Wincle, Bosley, North Rode, Marton, Siddington, Henbury-with-Pexhall, Birtles, Capesthorne, Chelford, Lower Withington, and Old Withington; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Prestbury, Macclesfield, M.-Christchurch, M., St. Paul, M., St. Peter, Macclesfield-Forest, Bollington, Bosley, Capesthorne, Chelford, Henbury, Hurdsfield, Marton, Poynton, Pott-Shrigley, Rainow, North Rode, Saltersford-cum-Kettleshulme, Siddington, Sutton, St. George, Sutton, St. James, Wincle, and Wood ford. Acres, 61,901. Pop. in 1851, 58,681; in 1861, 55,680. Houses, 12,315. The living of Prestbury is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £500. Patron,R. B. Legh, Esq. The church is ancient, of various dates; underwent greatimprovements in 1857; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty tower; and contains a piscina and manyfine mural monuments. The churchyard contains anancient mortuary chapel, with a Norman door. There are an endowed school, and charities £40. The otherlivings, and matters connected with them, are noticed in the articles on their own several localities. The sub-district contains only ten townships. Acres, 12,647. Pop., 5,197. Houses, 1,032.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
  • Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
  • Hundred: Macclesfield
  • Province: York