Poynton with Worth is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1745 from Poynton chapelry and Worth township in Prestbury Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Worth.
Alternative names: Pointon, Poynton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1723
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1723
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POYNTON, or Pointon, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Manchester and Macclesfield railway, 1¾mile W of the Macclesfield canal, and 4¾ SSE of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stockport. The township comprises 2,490 acres. Real property, £12,655; of which £8,670 are in mines. Pop., 1,284. Houses, 258. The manor and much of the land belong to Lord Vernon. Coal is extensively mined. The chapelry includes also most of Worth township. Pop, 1,977. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £85. Patron, Lord Vernon. The church was rebuilt in 1789. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York