Portwood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1844 from Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Brinnington.
Alternative names: Stockport St Matthew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1851
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Stockport St Mary
- Heaton Norris, Lancashire
- Denton, Lancashire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PORTWOOD, a chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the river Mersey at the boundary with Lancashire, and within Stockport borough. It was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Stockport. Pop. in 1861, 5,346. Houses, 1,189. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, alternatelythe Crown and the Bishop. The church is a recent stoneedifice, and has a handsome lofty spire.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockport
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Stockport
- Hundred: Stockport Borough
- Province: York