Norbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1737 from chapelry in Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hazlegrove.
Alternative names: Norbury near Stockport
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1829
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1829
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist, and Primitive Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORBURY, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands adjacent to the Stockport and Buxton railway, and near an affluent of the river Mersey, 1 mile SE of Hazlegrove r.station, and 3 SE of Stockport. The township contains also part of the village of Hazlegrove, which has a post-office under Stockport. Acres, 1,410. Real property, £7,172; of which £3,200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 848; in 1861, 1,305. Houses, 248. The manor belongs to W J Legh, Esq. Coal is largely worked. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1861, 994. Houses, 192. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £140. Patron, W. J. Legh, Esq. The church was built in 1834; is in the pointed style; comprises nave and aisles, with a low tower; and has a painted E window. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockport
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Stockport
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York