Newton in Mottram is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1840 from Mottram in Longendale Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Floweryfield.
Alternative names: Newton, Newton Moor, Newton near Ashton under Lyne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Hyde St George
- Denton Christ Church, Lancashire
- Dukinfield St Mark
- Godley cum Newton Green
- Dukinfield St John the Evangelist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district of Ashton-under-Lyne, and county of Chester. The village stands near the Peak-Forest canal, and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 1¼ mile S of the river Tame at the boundary with Lancashire, and 2½ SSE of Ashton-under-Lyne; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Newton-Moor, under Manchester. The township contains also the villages of Newton-Green and Floweryfield; is sometimes called Newton-Moor; and is in the parish of Mottram-in-Langdendale. Acres, 868. Real property, £19,427; of which £1,300 are in mines, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 7,481; in 1861, 6,440. Houses, 1,289. The decrease of pop. was caused by discontinuance of employment in cotton-mills. The manor belonged to the Davenports; went in 1302, by marriage, to Thomas de Newton; and was purchased in the latter part of the 17th century, from the last of the Newtons, by Sir Charles Duckinfield. Newton House is the seat of James Ashton, Esq.; Newton Lodge, of John Ashton, Esq.; and Goodier House, of D. Adamson, Esq. A house at Harrison-Fold was the residence, priorto his removal to the vicinity of Rochdale, of the famous schoolmaster and author, John Collier, better known as Tim Bobbin. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1841. Pop. in 1861, 5,416. Houses, 1,090. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Mottram. The church is a modern edifice, in the Norman style; comprises nave and chancel; and contains a handsome monument to J. and J. Ashton, Esqs., and one to the Rev. W. Johnson. There are chapels for Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and a mixed national school. Newton-Greenforms part of the chapelry of Godley. The sub-district consists of the townships of Newton and Godley. Acres, 1,507. Pop. in 1851, 8,834; in 1861, 7,625. Pop., 1,525.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York