Mottram in Longendale is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hollingworth, Micklehurst, Matley, Stayley;, Hattersley, and Godley.
Alternative names: Mottram, Mottram in Longden Dale, Mottram in Longdendale
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1583
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Protestant Dissenters, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Glossop, Derbyshire
- Friezeland, Yorkshire
- Charlesworth, Derbyshire
- Stalybridge St Paul
- Mellor, Derbyshire
- Castle Hall
- Godley cum Newton Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MOTTRAM-IN-LONGDENDALE, a small town, a township, and a parish, in the district of Ashton-underLyne and county of Chester. The town stands on an eminence in Longdendale, ½ a mile W of the river Etherow at the boundary with Derbyshire, 1 mile N of the M anchester and Sheffield railway, and 4¼ SE of Ashtonunder-Lyne; has environs of great picturesqueness and much grandeur; consists chiefly of one long well-paved street; carries on cotton-spinning and calico printing; is a polling-place for North Cheshire; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Manchester, both of the name of Mottram, and fairs on 27 April and 31 Oct. The township comprises 1,079 acres. Real property, £10,504; of which £50 are in mines, and £16 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 3,199; in 1861, 3,406. Houses, 667. The manor belonged anciently to the Hollands; passed to the Lovells, the Stanleys, the Wilbrahams, and the Tollemaches; and belongs now to John Tollemache, Esq. Hill-End House is the seat of John Chapman, Esq.; and the Manor House is the residence of F. Grundy, Esq. Broad Bottom, situated at the railway station, is a considerable village and a place of manufacture. The parish contains also the townships of Hattersley, Hollingworth, Tintwistle, Stayley, Matley, Godley, and Newton, and the hamlet of Micklehurst. Acres, 23,279. Real property, £88,588; of which £1,370 are in mines, £193 in quarries, and £862 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 23,354; in 1861, 22,495. Houses, 4,487. There are several manors, held by several proprietors; and there are numerous good residences. The surface is very diversified, and contains a large aggregate of beautiful and romantic scenery. Some portions are included in the towns of Mossley and Staleybridge; and both these and others are seats of manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £220. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine tower; and includes two mortuary chapels, one with a full-length figure of Ralph Stoneleigh, in armour, the other with a handsome marble altar-tomb of Reginald Bretnald, serjeant-at-law. The p. curacies of Millbrook, Newton, Stayley, Tintwistle, Woodhead, and Godley-with-Newton-Green are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents. Wesleyans, and Unitarians, an endowed grammar school with £65 a year, and charities £87 in Mottram township; and some dissenting chapels and public schools in the other townships.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York