Marton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1728 from chapelry in Prestbury Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Marton near Congleton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1563
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARTON, a village and a township-chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village stands 3½ miles W by N of North Rode Junction r. station, and 3½ N by W of Congleton; and has a post office under Congleton. The chapelry comprises 1,947 acres. Real property, £3,947. Pop., 296. Houses, 49. The property belongs to A. H. Davenport, Esq. Marton Hall was formerly the seat of the Davenport family; and is a half-timbered building, now used as a farm-house. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £66. Patron, A. H. Davenport, Esq. The church was built about 1343; consists of nave and chancel, with short wooden spire; and is a curious half-timbered structure. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York