Marthall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1840 from Rostherne Ancient Parish and Knutsford Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Little Warford.
Alternative names: Marthall cum Warford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARTHALL, a township in Rostherne parish, and a chapelry partly also in Knutsford parish, Cheshire. The township lies 1 mile WNW of Chelford r. station, and 3½ SE by E of Knntsford. Acres, 1,733. Real property, £2,500. Pop., 253. Houses, 44. The chapelry was constituted in 1840, and is called Marthall-cum-Little Warford. Post town, Knutsford. Pop., 525. Houses, 100. Ollerton Hall was built in 1728, and is the seat of R. K. M ‘Gildowny, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £60. Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is a plain brick bnilding. There are an endowed school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York