Marbury is a chapelry of Whitchurch Ancient Parish in Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Norbury near Nantwich
Alternative names: Marbury cum Quoisley, Marbury near Crewe, Marbury with Quoisley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1578
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARBURY, a township in Great Budworth, Cheshire; on the Grand Trunk canal, near the river Weaver, 1½ mile N of Northwich. Acres, 362. Real property, £743. Pop., 17. Houses, 4. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the Marburys; passed, in 1708, to Earl Rivers; went, by marriage, to the Earl of Barrymore; passed to the Barrys; and, with Marbury Hall, belongs now to A. H. S. Barry, Esq. The hall is a large brick mansion, with stone facings; recently underwent extensive alterations and additions; contains a fine selection of paintings and antique sculptures; and stands in beautiful grounds, which include a lake of 80 acres.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Nantwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
- Poor Law Union: Nantwich
- Hundred: Nantwich
- Province: York