Malpas St Chad, Cheshire Family History Guide

Malpas St Chad is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1824 from Malpas Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Bradley, Hampton, Chidlow, Macefen, Bickley, and Agden.

Alternative names: Tushingham, Tushingham cum Grindley, Tushingham with Grindley

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1861
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1861

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHAD, or Chadd (St.), a chapelry in Malpas parish, Cheshire; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles NNW of Whitchurch r. station. Post Town, Whitchurch. Statistics, with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £140. Patrons, the Rectors of Malpas. The church was built in 1863.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TUSHINGHAM-CUM-GRINDLEY, a township in Malpas parish, Cheshire; 2 miles ESE of Malpas. Acres, 1,292. Real property, £2,275. Pop., 324. Houses, 62. T. House is the seat of J. Vernon, Esq. There are a church built in 1863, and a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Nantwich
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Malpas
  • Poor Law Union: Wrexham
  • Hundred: Broxton
  • Province: York