Lymm is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Heatley Heath, Reddish, Oughtrington, Lymm Booths, Statham, Crouchley Lane, Cliffe Lane, Burford Lane, and Broomedge.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LYMM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the Bridgewater canal, near the Manchester, Warrington, and Garston railway, 1¼ mile SSE of the river Mersey, 1¼ SW of the river Bollin, and 4½ ESE of Warrington; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Warrington, a police station, an old cross, gas-works, and fairs on 5 May and 5 Nov. The police station is a neat small building, containing four cells. The cross is partly cut out of solid rock, and is in fine preservation. The gas-works were erected in 1862. The parish contains also the hamlets of Heatley-Heath and Cliffe-Lane, and the places called Crouchley-Lane, Burford-Lane, Lymm-Booths, Oughtrington, Broom-edge, Reddish, and Statham; and it extends to the Mersey and the Bollin. Acres, 4,284. Real property, £18,377; of which £200 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,156; in 1861, 3,769. Houses, 735. The manor is divided. Lymm Hall, an ancient edifice, formerly moated, is the seat of J. Barratt, Esq. Oughtrington Hall is the seat of A. F. Payne, Esq.; Statham Lodge, of P. Stubs, Esq.; Beechwood, of G.Dewhurst, Esq. There are many recent Villas and well built houses. Tanning and fustian-cutting are carried on. The living is a rectory of two medieties in the diocese of Chester. Value of the first med., £349; of the second med., £249. Patron of the first, E. Leigh, Esq.; of the second, R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. The old church dated from about 1322; and, except the W window and the lower part of the tower, was taken down in 1850. The new church was built in 1851; is in the early decorated style; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with a tower; has a fine E window, put up in 1865 in memory of the late rector, the Rev. W. M’Iver; and includes, in the N aisle, a private chapel in lieu of one in the old church. Two chapels of ease are in Oughtrington and Broomedge. An Independent chapel was built, in 1863, at a cost of about £3,200. There are also chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed grammar school, parochial schools, a mixed school, an infant school, and charities £95. The sub-district contains also Warburton parish, and parts of three other parishes. Acres, 18,170. Pop., 7,395. Houses, 1,398.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York