Latchford St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish partly in Cheshire and partly in Lancashire; Created in 1796 from Grappenhall Ancient Parish (Cheshire); Located on Wilderspool Causeway.
Alternative names: Latchford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1777
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1784
Nonconformists include: Baptists, Primitive Methodist and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LATCHFORD, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district of Warrington and county of Chester. The village stands on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Lancashire, adjacent to the Bridgewater and the Old Quay canals, near an intersection of railways, 1 mile SE of Warrington; is partly within Warrington borough; communicates with Warrington by a stone bridge over the Mersey; and has a station on the Manchester, Lymm, and Warrington railway. The chapelry comprises 1,010 acres, and is in Grappenhall parish. Post-town, Warrington. Real property, £8,872; of which £205 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 2,542; in 1861, 2,885. Houses, 573. The land is divided chiefly among five. Cotton manufacture, hair manufacture, tanning, brush-making, wire-working, and pin, file, and tool-making are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £111. Patron, the Rev. T. Greenall. The church stands on Wilderspool causeway; is a good edifice, in the pointed style; and comprises nave, three aisles, and chancel, with a tower. A chapel of ease to Grappenhall stands in Wash-lane; was built in 1861; and consists of nave and chancel, with a spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and two infant schools. The sub-district contains also the rest of Grappenhall parish, and a township of Runcorn parish. Acres, 3,967. Pop., 4,054. Houses,
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Warrington
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Warrington
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York