Ince is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Alterative names: Stoke with Ince
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1687
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
INCE, a village and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands adjacent to the Mersey, and to the Hooton and Helsby railway, 4½ miles W by S of Frodsham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chester. The parish comprises 1,560 acres of land, and 2,285 of water. Real property, £3,656. Pop., 371. Houses, 63. The manor, with all the land, belonged to the abbots of St. Werburgh; went, at the dissolution, to Sir Richard Cotton; passed to the Cholmondeleys, the Wynnes, the Warings, and the Yateses; and belongs now to Edmund W. P. Yates, Esq. Ince Hall, the seat of Mr. Yates, was built in 1849; and is an edifice of white freestone, in the Italian style. Traces of a monastic establishment exist in what are now the houses of a farmstead. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. Patron, E. W. P. Yates, Esq. The Church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was restored in 1854, at a cost of about £3,400. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
INCE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Chester; containing 475 inhabitants. This place was distinguished for a monastic institution that belonged to the abbots of St. Werburgh's, Chester. The dormitory, refectory, and chapel still remain; the two former have been converted into a farmhouse, and the chapel into a barn, an object of great beauty, the eastern side being thickly covered with ivy. The walls are about six feet in thickness, with eight large bay windows, now bricked up; and the monastery was surrounded by a moat, still traceable by parts of its outer walls. The parish comprises by measurement 1500 acres, and is bounded on the north by the river Mersey, where a pier has been constructed, at the distance of half a mile from the village. The central portion is rising ground, and each extremity consists of marsh land protected by an embankment from the tides of the Mersey, which flow up two small brooks forming the eastern and western boundaries of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £104; patron and impropriator, the representative of the late Edmund Yates, Esq.: the glebe consists of about an acre and a half of land, on which is the glebe-house. The church, situated on the highest point of a rock, has some traces in the Norman style, but the greater part of the building is of later date. The late Mr. Yates erected a free school for children.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Chester
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Eddisbury
- Province: York