Hyde St George is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1843 from Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1832
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HYDE, a town, a township, two chapelries and a subdistrict, in Stockport parish and district, Cheshire. The town stands on the river Tame, the Peak Forest canal, and the Manchester and New Mills railway, 7 miles ESE of Manchester. It originated about the beginning of the present century: took its rise from the cotton manufacture; and has grown to importance under the progress of that manufacture, aided by the results of industry in other departments. It stands upon a coal field; enjoys ample facilities of communication, by canal and by railway; has been the scene of much industrial enterprise and skill; and is well built, well paved, and abundantly supplied with water. Its factories for weaving, spinning and calico printing are on a great scale; and it has extensive engineering works, and several foundries. A railway station of its own name is at it; another, of the name of Newton, is about ¼ of a mile to the E; a third, called Hyde-Junction, is ¾ of a mile to the NNW; and a fourth, called Godley Junction, on the new route from Liverpool to London opened in 1866, is ½ a mile to the E. A weekly market is held on Saturday; and fairs are held on 16 May and 15 Nov. The town is governed by a local board; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts; publishes a weekly newspaper; and has a post office under Manchester, a court house, a police station, a mechanics’ institution, a temperance hall, two churches, two Independent chapels, three Methodist chapels of different denominations, a Unitarian chapel, two national schools, and schools connected with factories and with places of worship. The mechanics’ institution is a handsome edifice of red brick, with white stone dressings; and contains a large assembly room, a library and reading room, and class rooms. St. George’s church was built in 1832; consists of nave, aisles, and large terminal bay, with lofty pinnacled tower; and contains 1,600 sittings. St. Thomas’ church was originally a working men’s institute, erected in 1838; and is used only till a more suitable church can be built. The Unitarian chapel stands at Gee Cross; displaced a chapel of 1708 which, for upwards of a century, had been the only place of worship in the township; is in the early English and decorated styles; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire 145 feet high. The town is regarded, statistically, as conterminate with the township; but, in that view, it includes part of the hamlet of Gee Cross. The chapelries are St. George, constituted in 1842, and St. Thomas, constituted in 1849. Pop. in 1861, of St. G., 8,287; of St. T., 5,435. Houses, 1,625 and 990. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. G., £300; of St. T., £130. Patron, of St. G., the Rector of Stockport; of St. T., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The township comprises 889 acres. Real property, £42,586; of which £800 are in gas works, and £950 in mines. Pop. in 1811, 1,806; in 1841, 10,170; in 1861, 13,722. Houses, 2,615. The manor belongs to Edward Hyde Clarke, Esq. Hyde Hall belonged to the family of Hyde, one of whom was the great Lord Clarendon; but it has been entirely demolished. The Lumn is an ancient residence, and belongs to John Sheply, Esq. The sub-district contains also two other townships of Stockport parish. Acres, 4,970. Pop. 20,594. Houses, 4,028.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockport
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Stockport
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York