High Legh is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1817 from chapelry in Rostherne Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Leigh High
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1815
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1819
- Great Budworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEGH (HIGH), a village and a township-chapely in Rostherne parish, Cheshire. The village stands 3¼ miles S of Heatley and Warburton r. station, and 5 NW of Knutsford; is a scattered place; and has a post office under Knutsford. The chapelry comprises 4,257 acres. Real property, £8,359. Pop., 1,004. Houses, 175. The property is divided among three. High Legh Hall is the seat of GeorgeLegh, Esq.; and West Hall is the seat of Major Eggerton Leigh. Much attention is given to the dairy. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. Patron, E. Leigh, Esq The church was built in 1815; superseded a previous edifice of 1404; and is a neat stone structure. A domestic chapel, erected in 1581, stands on the grounds of High Legh Hall. There are a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York