Heswall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Heswall with Oldfield, Oldfield, and Gayton.
Alternative names: Heswall cum Oldfield
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1586
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HESWALL, a village, a township, and a parish in Wirral district, Cheshire. The village stands on the estuary of the Dee, 2½ miles NNW of Parkgate r. station, and 7 SW of Birkenhead; commands a fine view across the estuary to the Welsh mountains; and has a postoffice under Chester. The township bears the name of Heswall-with-Oldfield; and comprises 1,230 acres of land, and 2,075 of water. Real property, £1,848. Pop., 556. Houses, 105. The parish contains also the township of Gayton. Acres, 5,380; of which 3,310 are water. Real property, £2,964. Pop., 749. Houses, 136. The property is much subdivided. The manors belong to A. Davenport and W. Lloyd, Esqs. Gayton Hall belongs to the Gleggs; and it gave lodging, in 1689, to William III., on the eve of his embarking for Ireland. Heswall hill has an altitude of 475 feet above sea level. Red sandstone, for building, is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £304. Patron, alternately A. Davenport, Esq., and R. Barker, Esq. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Gleggs.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York