Hartford, Cheshire Family History Guide

Hartford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1825 from chapelry in Witton Ecclesiastical Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Castle Northwich.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Hartford

  • Parish registers: 1837
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Castle Northwich

  • Parish registers: 1849
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HARTFORD, a village in Great Budworth parish, and a township-chapelry partly also in Weaverham parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 1 ½ mile SW of Northwich; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 12 April and 12 Oct. The chapelry comprises 1,102 acres. Real property, £4,979. Pop., 987. Houses, 214. Pop. of the Great Budworth portion, 969. Houses, 209. The manor belonged formerly to the Twemlows. Hartford Manor, Hartford Hall, Hartford House, Hartford Grange, and Woodlands are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £117. Patrons, Trustees. The church is a brick building, with a tower. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Northwich
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Frodsham
  • Poor Law Union: Northwich
  • Hundred: Eddisbury
  • Province: York