Great Budworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire. Nether Peover is a chapelry of Great Budworth.
Other places in the parish include: Plumley, Over Whitley, Northwich, Marston, Marbury near Northwich, Marbury, Hulse, Higher Whitley, Hull and Appleton, Dutton, Crowley, Comberbatch, Comberbach, Cogshall, Castle Northwich, Birches, Bartington, Aston by Budworth, Aston, Appleton, Anderton, Allostock, Winnington, Wincham, Tabley Inferior, Sevenoaks, Seven Oaks, Pickmere, and Plumbley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
- Parish registers: 1849
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Presbyterian Unitarian, Primitive Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Lower Whitley
- Stockton Heath
- High Legh
- Nether Peover
- Little Leigh
- Latchford St James
- Dane Bridge
- Lostock Gralam
- Aston by Sutton
- Runcorn Weston St John
- Lower Peover
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUDWORTH (Great), a township in Runcorn district, and a parish in Runcorn, Northwich, and Altrincham districts, Cheshire. The township lies on the Grand Trunk canal, near the river Weaver, and near the Northwich, Knutsford, and Altrincham railway, 2½ miles N of Northwich; and has a post-office under Northwich, and fairs on 13 Feb., 5 April, and 2 Oct. Acres, 872. Real property, £3,059. Pop. 613. Houses, 118. The parish contains also the townships of Seven Oaks, Antrobus, Crowley, Whitley-Superior, Whitley-Inferior, Bartington, Stretton, Appleton, Dutton, Aston-by-Budworth, Peover-Inferior, Tabley-Inferior, Plumbley, Pickmere, Little-Leigh, Barnton, Hartford, Winnington, Comberbach, Marbury, Marston, Wincham, Northwich, Castle-Northwich, Lostock-Gralam, Nether-Peover, Allostock, Hulse, Birches, Anderton, and Lach-Dennis, and the chapelry of Witton-cum-Twambrooks. Acres, 35,920. Real property, £138,204. Pop. in 1841, 17,103; in 1861, 18,852. Houses, 3,834. The property is much subdivided. Marbury Hall, Arley Hall, and Belmont House, are chief residences. Bedworthmere and Pickmere are small lakes. Many of the inhabitants are employed in salt-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £626. Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is ancient; has an embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Pooles, the Warburtons, and the Leycesters. The chapelries of Antrobus, Barnton, Hartford, Little Leigh, Lostock, Lower Peover, Stretton, Tabley, Lower Whitley, Wilderspool, Witton, and Northwich, are separate benefices. Witton grammar school has £270 from endowment; and other charities £172.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Runcorn
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Runcorn
- Hundred: Bucklow; Eddisbury; Northwich
- Province: York