Goostrey is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1724 from Goostrey cum Barnshaw chapelry in Sandbach Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Blackden.
Alternative names: Goostree cum Barnshaw, Goostrey cum Barnshaw
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1576
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Over Peover
- Lower Peover
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOOSTREY-CUM-BARNSHAW, a township-chapelry in Sandbach parish, Cheshire; near the river Dane, 3 miles NNW of Holmes-Chapel r. station, and 6 S of Knutsford. Post town, Holmes-Chapel, under Middlewich. Acres, 1,697. Real property, £2,741. Pop., 268. Houses, 51. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £175. Patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The church is modern, on the site of an ancient one. There are a national school, in the Tudor style, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Northwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Middlewich
- Poor Law Union: Congleton
- Hundred: Northwich
- Province: York