Godley cum Newton Green is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1847 from Mottram in Longendale Ancient Parish and Newton in Mottram Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Newton Green.
Alternative names: Godley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1847
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1847
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GODLEY, a township and a chapelry in Mottram parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the verge of the county, at a junction of railways, adjacent to Hyde, 3 miles SSE of Ashton-under-Lyne; and has a station at the railway junction. Acres, 639. Real property, £6,059; of which £25 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 1,353; in 1861, 1,185. Houses, 236. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by discontinuance of employment in cotton mills. The manor was held, in the time of King John, by the family of Godleigh; and belongs now to the Tollemaches. The chapelry bears the name of Godley-cum-Newton-Green; and was constituted in 1847. Post town, Newton-Moor, under Manchester. Pop., 2,209. Houses, 435. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1850.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York