Gawsworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1586
- Capesthorne with Siddington
- Macclesfield St Michael
- North Rode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GAWSWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal and the North Staffordshire railway, 3½ miles SW by S of Macclesfield; and is an ancient place, with some old houses. The parish comprises 5,442 acres. Post town, Macclesfield. Real property, £7,038; of which £62 are in quarries. Pop., 713. Houses, 118. The manor belonged at the conquest to Earl Ranulph; passed to the Bigods; was long held by the Fittons; and belongs now to the Earl of Harrington. Gawsworth Hall is a seat of the Earl. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £737. Patron, the Earl of Harrington. The church is a handsome structure, with a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Fittons. There are a national school, and charities £36. The sub-district contains also five townships of Prestbury parish, and one of Astbury. Acres, 16,854. Pop., 3,118. Houses, 587.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York