Farndon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Churton by Farndon, Clutton, Crewe, and Barton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kings Marsh
- Dutton Y Bran
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FARNDON, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Dee, 4 miles ESE of Rossett r. station, and 7½ S of Chester; was known at Domesday as Forendon; is connected, by a ten-arched bridge, with Holt in Wales; and has a post office under Chester, and fairs on 4 April and 4 Oct. The township comprises 1,025 acres. Real property, £2,930. Pop., 557. Houses, 102. The parish contains also the townships of Barton, Clutton, Crewe, and Churton-by-Farndon. Acres, 2,856. Real property, £6,378. Pop., 992. Houses, 191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £115. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was rebuilt on the site of one burnt in 1645; was repaired in 1869; and includes a chapel of the Barnston family, rebuilt in 1869. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels, an endowed school, a national school, a reading room , and charities £15. Major Barnston, who served in the Crimean war, is commemorated by an obelisk; and John Speed, the antiquary, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
Rural Deanery: Chester
Poor Law Union: Great Boughton