Eccleston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Heskin, Parbold, Wrightington, and Eaton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1593
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
- Chester St Oswald
- Chester St Mary on the Hill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ECCLESTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Dee, near the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2¾ miles S of Chester; is a pretty place; borrows beauty from the Marquis of Westminster's neighbouring seat of Eaton Hall; and has a post office under Chester. The township includes the village. Real property, £2,112. Pop., 267. Houses, 49. The parish contains also the township of Eaton. Acres, 2,402. Real property, £4,186. Pop., 349. Houses, 64. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. Eccleston hill commands a fine prospect. The parish is traversed by Watling-street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £403. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was built, in 1808, by Earl Grosvenor, after designs by Pordon; is a handsome structure, with lofty pinnacled tower; and contains the family tombs of the Grosvenors. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
Rural Deanery: Chester
Poor Law Union: Great Boughton