Dukinfield St John the Evangelist is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1843 from Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1841
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1844
- Newton in Mottram
- Ashton under Lyne St Michael, Lancashire
- Dukinfield St Mark
- Castle Hall
- Godley cum Newton Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DUKINFIELD, or Duckenfield, a township, four chapelries, and a sub-district, in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Tame, the Peak Forest canal, and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, at the boundary with Lancashire, and on the ancient boundary of Mercia and Northumbria, 5¾ miles E of Manchester; has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Ashton-under-Lyne; includes part of Staly-bridge, with its r. station and head post office; was known to the Saxons as Doekenveldt; and carries on extensive industry in coal mining, iron-working, fire-brick making, and cotton-spinning. Acres, 1, 690. Real property, £109,445; of which £16,532 are in mines, £80 in quarries, and £1,600 in gas-works. Pop. in 1841, 22,394; in 1861, 29,953. Houses, 5,971. A part of the township under the control of the local board of health forms the town of Dukinfield. Pop., 15,024. Houses, 3,086. Dukinfield Hall, the ancient seat of the Dukinfields, was recently restored, and has a small ancient chapel. The chapelries are St. John, St. Mark, St. Matthew, and Castle-Hall; the first a p. curacy, the others vicarages, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St John, £300; of St. Mark, £300; of St. Matthew, £160; of Castle-Hall, £300. Patron of St. John, the Rector of Stockport; of St. Mark and St. Matthew, alternately the Crown and the Bishop., of Castle-Hall, Trustees. St. John’s church was built in 1841; and is a handsome structure, in the early English style, with tower and pinnacles. There are chapels for Independents, Moravians, Unitarians, Wesleyans, Free Methodists, New Connexion Methodists, and Roman Catholics, a spacious cemetery of 1865, two public schools, a temperance hall, and a mechanics’ institute, with library and reading room s. The sub-district is conterminate with the township; and is in the district of Ashton-under-Lyne.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York