Dodleston is an Ancient Parish partly in Flintshire.
Other places in the parish include: Moorend Farm, Balderton, Gorstella, and Lower Kinnerton.
Alternative names: Diddleston, Doddleston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1584
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Chester St Mary on the Hill
- Bretton, Flintshire
- Saltney, Flintshire
- Burton, Flintshire
- Broughton, Flintshire
- Dodleston, Flintshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DODDLESTON, a village and a township in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; and a parish partly also in Flint. The village stands near the boundary with Wales, and near the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2½ miles SW of Saltney r. station, and 4½ SSW of Chester. The township includes also the hamlet of Gorstella. Acres, 1,677. Real property, £2,646. Pop., 304. Houses, 54. The parish contains likewise the townships of Lower Kinnerton and Higher Kinnerton; and its post town is Pulford, under Wrexham. Acres, 4,013. Real property, £6,191. Pop., 814. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. A seat of the Egertons here was the head-quarters of Brereton, at the siege of Chester in 1645-6. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Chester. Value, £593. Patrons, the Dean and Chaper of Chester. The church was rebuilt, on an enlarged scale, in 1869. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a free school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Chester
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Broxton
- Province: York