Doddington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1841 from Wybunbury Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1838
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DODDINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Wybunbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the North-western railway, adjacent to Salop and Staffordshire; 3¼ miles S of Basford r. station, and 5½ SE by S of Nantwich. Acres, 588. Real property, £1,334. Pop., 71. Houses, 13. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. Post town, Wybunbury, under Nantwich. Pop., 566. Houses, 106. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward II., to the Praers; passed to the Brescies, the Delves, and the Broughtons; and belongs now to Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart. The old manor-house was taken in 1643-4, by Lord Byron; and the present mansion, Doddington Hall, occupies the same site; and is a Grecian edifice. Some remains are near it of a castle, built in 1364, with statues of Lord Audley and his squires who fought at Poictiers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Nantwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Nantwich
- Poor Law Union: Nantwich
- Hundred: Nantwich
- Province: York