Disley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1741 from chapelry in Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Disley Stanley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Beard, Derbyshire
- Mellor, Derbyshire
- Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside, Derbyshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DISLEY, or Disley-Stanley, a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the Stockport and Whaley-Bridge railway, adjacent to the Peak Forest canal, at the boundary with Derbyshire, 6¼ miles SE of Stockport. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stockport. Acres, 2,700. Real property, £8,774; of which £180 are in quarries. Pop., 2,265. Houses, 455. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £117. Patron, the Rector of S. The church was rebuilt in 1558; and has stained windows and other decorations. There are a national school and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Hayfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Hayfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York