Delamere, Cheshire Family History Guide

Delamere is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1812 from Delamere extra-parochial.

Other places in the parish include: Oakmere, Kingswood, and Eddisbury.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1817
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1817

Nonconformists include: Calvinistic Methodist, Methodist New Connexion, and Presbyterian.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Weaverham
  • Alvanley
  • Whitegate
  • Tarvin
  • Willington
  • Frodsham
  • Little Budworth
  • Tarporley
  • Norley

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DELAMERE, a township in Northwich district, and a parish partly also in Runcorn district, Cheshire. The township lies 5½ miles W by S of Hartford r. station, and 10 E by N of Chester; and gives the peerage title of Baron to the family of Cholmondeley. Acres, 1,980. Real property, £1,965. Pop., 474. Houses, 101. The parish contains also the townships of Eddisbury, Oak mere, and Kingswood; and its post town is Kelsall, under Chester. Acres, 8,770. Real property, £6,577. Pop., 1,146. Houses, 226. The area was extra-parochial till 1812; was anciently a royal forest, abounding with wood and deer; had become waste and barren; and is now, in great extent, enclosed and cultivated. Vale-Royal is the seat of Lord Delamere; and Delamere Lodge, the seat of the Wilbrahams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1817. There are two dissenting chapels and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Northwich
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Chester
  • Poor Law Union: Northwich
  • Hundred: Eddisbury
  • Province: York