Davenham, Cheshire Family History Guide

Davenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.

Other places in the parish include: Stanthorne, Wharton, Winsford, Whatcroft, Shurlach, Wharton Christ Church, Bostock, Shipbrooke, Eaton, Eaton near Northwich, Leftwich, Moulton, Newhall, Newhall near Northwich, and Shipbrook.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Wilfrid

Parish registers begin:

Davenham

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1588

Wharton Christ Church

  • Parish registers: 1843
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1851

Winsford

  • Parish registers: None
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1844

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Davenham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DAVENHAM, a township and a parish in Northwich district, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Dane, near the Trent and Mersey canal, 1½ mile E by N of Hartford r. station, and 2 S of Northwich; and has a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 15 April and 15 Oct. Acres, 479. Real property, £2,005. Pop., 518. Houses, 109. The parish contains also the townships of Rudheath, Shipbrook, Newhall, Whatcroft, Bostock, Stanthorne, Wharton, Moulton, Eaton, Leftwich, and Shurlach. Acres, 9,449. Real property, £43,209. Pop., 6,855. Houses, 1,397. The property is much sub-divided. Brine pits are here. An action was fought, in 1643, at Rudheath, between the royalists and the parliamentarians. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £727. Patron, James F. France, Esq. The church is very good. The vicarages of Wharton and Dane-Bridge are separate benefices. There are two Independent chapels, three Methodist chapels, three national schools, and charities £71.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

DAVENHAM (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester; comprising the townships of Bostock, Davenham, Eaton, Leftwich, Moulton, Newhall, Rudheath, Shipbrook, Shurlach, Stanthorne, Wharton, and Whatcroft; and containing 5335 inhabitants, of whom 488 are in the township of Davenham, 2 miles (S.) from Northwich. Davenham derives its name from its situation on the river Daven, or Dane. The parish comprises 8912 acres, of which the greater portion is pasture, being set out in cheese and dairy farms: there is no great extent of wood. The soil is various, comprising sand, clay, and a fine rich mould; and the country of pleasing aspect, the two valleys of the Weaver and the Dane passing through: the former vale, however, is now disfigured by numerous salt-works, the smoke of which blackens every thing on the face of the land for a considerable distance. The river Weaver bounds the parish on the west; the Dane flows from south to north, and the road from Birmingham to Liverpool runs in a nearly parallel direction: the parish is also intersected by the London and North-Western railway, and the Trent and Mersey canal. Salt is the principal manufacture, and is supposed to have been produced here as early as the time of the Romans: the brine-pits are very extensive on both sides of the Weaver.

The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £23. 13. 1½., and in the patronage of James France France, Esq., of Bostock Hall. The tithes have been commuted for £850, of which £82 are for the township of Davenham: there is a glebe-house, with about four acres of glebe land. The church was rebuilt, in the decorated style, in 1843-4, at a cost of £2650; it contains 921 sittings, whereof 356 are free: the former church, of which the tower and spire remain, appears to have been erected in the beginning or the middle of the 14th century. Two chapels were built in 1835, both in the Elizabethan style; the one by subscription, and the other at the expense of Mr. France. The ecclesiastical district of Wharton was constituted in 1843; and another district, Dane-Bridge, was formed in 1846, of a part of Davenham parish, and a part of the chapelry of Witton, in the parish of Great Budworth. The Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans, have places of worship. There are three boys’ schools, three schools for girls, one mixed school for boys and girls, and an infants’ school, all in immediate connexion with the Church. On Bostock Green is an ancient oak, which is said to mark the centre of the county.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Bostock

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BOSTOCK, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Middlewich; containing 190 inhabitants. This place gave name to a family descended from Osmerus, lord of Bostock in the reign of William the Conqueror: the heiress of the elder branch brought the manor in the latter part of the 15th century to the Savages. In 1755 it was sold by Sir Thomas Whitmore to the Tomkinsons. The township comprises 1523 acres; the soil is sand and clay. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway passes about a mile to the west of the village. The tithes have been commuted for £75. 11.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Eaton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

EATON, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Northwich; containing 11 inhabitants. The manor, anciently Ayton, was at an early period in moieties between the family of Praers (succeeded by the Mainwarings) and that of Bulkeley. In the reign of Henry VIII. the latter sold their estate to the Breretons, who seem eventually to have possessed the whole manor, which afterwards passed by successive sales to the Lindseys and Cholmondeleys. The township lies east of the river Weaver, and comprises 401 acres, of a loamy and clayey soil. The tithes have been commuted for £5. 6. 8.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Leftwich

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

LEFTWICH, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 1 mile (S.) from Northwich; containing 2001 inhabitants. It comprises 883 acres, the soil of which is loam and sand. The manor was for several generations the property of the family of Leftwich, until, early in the seventeenth century, an heiress conveyed it to the Oldfields, who sold the estate about 1736.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Moulton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

MOULTON, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (S.) from Northwich; containing 318 inhabitants, and comprising 437 acres of land. The soil is partly clay and partly sand. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway passes through.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Newhall

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

NEWHALL, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Northwich; containing 26 inhabitants. It comprises 234 acres, the soil of which is clay. The tithes have been commuted for £14.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Shipbrooke

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHIPBROOK, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (S. E.) from Northwich; containing 89 inhabitants. It comprises 519 acres, of partly a sand and partly a clay soil. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the township. Tithe rentcharges have been awarded amounting to £58. 18., of which £53 are payable to the rector of the parish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Shurlach

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHURLACH, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of Cheshire, 1¾ mile (E. S. E.) from Northwich; containing 159 inhabitants. It comprises 298 acres, of a clayey soil. The Grand Trunk canal passes in the vicinity of Shurlach, and immediately on the west flows the river Dane.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Stanthorne

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

STANTHORNE, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 1¼ mile (W. N. W.) from Middlewich; containing 169 inhabitants. It comprises 1050 acres, the soil of which is partly clay and partly sand.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Wharton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

WHARTON, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Middlewich; containing 1400 inhabitants. It comprises 1157 acres; the prevailing soil is clay. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway passes through the township. Here is a church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the Rector’s gift, with a net income of £120. A rent-charge of £75. 1. has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Whatcroft

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

WHATCROFT, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Middlewich; containing 49 inhabitants. It comprises 637 acres, the soil of which is partly clay and partly saud. The tithes have been commuted for £58. 8.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Census

England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales Census, 1911

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog - Free

Cheshire

Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000 - FamilySearch

Cheshire Bishop’s Transcripts, 1598-1900 - FamilySearch

England, Cheshire Non-conformist Records, 1671-1900

England, Cheshire Probate Records, 1492-1940

England, Cheshire Workhouse Records, 1848-1967

England, Cheshire, Land Tax Assessments, 1778-1832

England, Cheshire, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1606-1900

England, Cheshire, Register of Electors, 1842-1900

England, Cheshire, School Records, 1796-1950

Records for England

Births and Baptism Records

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Marriage Records

England Marriages, 1538–1973

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Death Records

England Death Records, 1998-2015

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

England and Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1640-1660

Non-Conformist Records

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977

Occupations

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

War and Conflict

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners’ Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Northwich
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Middlewich
  • Poor Law Union: Northwich
  • Hundred: Northwich
  • Province: York