Church Minshull is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Wades Green, Wood Green, and Paradise Green.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MINSHULL (CHURCH), a village and a parish in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, near the Middlewich canal, 2 miles SW of Minshull-Vernon r. station, and 5½ N by E of Nantwich; and has a post office under Middlewich. The parish contains also the hamlets of Wades-Green, Wood-Green, and Paradise-Green. Acres, 2,286. Real property, £3,424. Pop., 392. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the Minshulls; went, in the time of Edward III., to the Duttons; returned, in the time of Henry VII., to a junior branch of the Minshulls; passed, in the time of Elizabeth, to F. Cholmondeley., Esq.; was afterwards sold to Sir Richard Brooke, Bart.; and belongs now to Henry Broole, Esq. Minshull Hall is now a farm-house. Lea-Green Hall was a mansion of the Vernons. passed to the Crewes, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £108. Patron, H. Brooke, Esq. The church is a brick edifice, of nave and aisles, with a tower; was recently restored, at a cost of about £800; and contains monuments to the Minshulls, the Cholmondeleys, and the Wades. There are an endowed school with £15 a year, and some charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MINSHULL, CHURCH (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (N. by E.) from Nantwich; containing 467 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Weaver, and comprises by admeasurement 2086 acres, of which about 24 are woodland, and the remainder chiefly pasture. Its soil is in some parts sandy, in others a stiff clay; the surface is generally level, and the prevailing trees oak and ash, with some poplar. Cheese is made in great quantities. The living is a donative; net income, £131; patron, H. Brooke, Esq. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £120, and the incumbent's for £50. The church is a plain structure of brick, with quoins and cornices of stone, and a tower. There is a place of worship for Independents; also a school endowed with about £15 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Nantwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Nantwich
- Poor Law Union: Nantwich
- Hundred: Nantwich
- Province: York