Church Lawton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Alternative names: Lawton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1596
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHURCH-LAWTON, a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire; on the Trent and Mersey canal, adjacent to the Macclesfield and Colwich railway, 1½ mile NNW of Kidsgrove Junction r. station, and 5 SSW of Congleton. Post town, Lawton, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 1,452. Real property, £3,108. Pop., 724. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. There are salt-works, collieries, and quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £360. Patron,B. Lawton, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Methodist chapel and a handsome school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Congleton
Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
Rural Deanery: Middlewich
Poor Law Union: Congleton