Cheadle, Cheshire Family History Guide

Cheadle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.

Other places in the parish include: Cheadle Moseley, Huntley, Handforth St Chad, Handforth cum Bosden, Handforth, Freehay, Oakamoor, Cheadle Mill, Cheadle Grange, Cheadle Bulkeley, Brookistone, and Bosden.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Cheadle

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610

Handforth St Chad

  • Parish registers: 1840
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Wilmslow
  • Didsbury
  • Stockport St Thomas
  • Stockport St Matthew
  • Northenden
  • Stockport St Mary
  • Norbury
  • Prestbury
  • Heaton Norris

Parish History

Cheadle

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Cheadle, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stockport district, Cheshire. The village stands near the river Mersey, 2 miles NW of the junction of the Macclesfield and Congleton railway with the Manchester and Crewe railway, and 2 ¼ WSW of Stockport. The parish includes also the townships of Cheadle-Bulkeley and Cheadle-Moseley, and the hamlet of Handforth-cum-Bosden; and has a station at the junction of the railways, and a post-office under Manchester. Acres, 6,275. Real property, £37,209. Pop., 10,852. Houses, 2,301. The property is much subdivided. Cheadle Wood and Cheadle Heath are chief residences. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and silk mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £635. Patron, Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart. The church is later English. Handford chapel is a separate charge; and there is a chapel of ease at Cheadle-Hulme. There are also chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. An Independent chapel, in the decorated English style, was built in 1861, at a cost of £2,000. The sub-district does not contain all the parish, and includes a township of Stockport. Pop., 4,941. Houses, 1,006.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Cheadle Bulkeley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Cheadle-Bulkeley, a township in Cheadle parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Crewe railway, 4 ¼ miles SW by S of Stockport. It includes Cheadle-Hulme, which has a post-office under Stockport, and a chapel-of-ease. Acres, 1,842. Real property, £19,555. Pop., 6,115. Houses, 1,317. Races are run on an oval course of ¾ of a mile. The chapel-of-ease in Cheadle-Hulme was built in 1863; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, chancel, and south transept, with vestry and timber belfry.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Cheadle Moseley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Cheadle-Moseley, a township in Cheadle parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Crewe railway, 3 miles S by W of Stockport. Acres, 2,652. Real property, £9, 688. Pop., 2,329. Houses, 490.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cheshire
  • Civil Registration District: Stockport
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
  • Poor Law Union: Stockport
  • Hundred: Macclesfield; Stockport Borough
  • Province: York