Chadkirk is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1745 from part of Romiley chapelry in Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Romiley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1748
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1790
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROMILEY, or Chadkirk, a village and a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the Peak Forest canal, adjacent to the Manchester, Hyde, and New Mills railway, 4 miles E by N of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stockport. The chapelry comprises 2, 290 acres. Real property, £6, 817; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 364; in 1861, 1, 468. Houses, 308. The property is much subdivided. Oak-wood Hall is the seat of L. Heyworth, Esq. There are two cotton-mills and extensive print-works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Stockport. The church was built in 1865. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockport
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Stockport
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York