Burton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Puddington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURTON, a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the estuary of the Dee, 3¾ miles WSW of Sutton r. station, and 8 NW by W of Chester; and had formerly a market. Acres, 2,138; of which 280 are water. Real property, £2,178. Pop., 265. Houses, 50. The parish includes also the township of Puddington; and its Post Town is Neston, under Chester. Acres, 3,497. Real property, £4,235. Pop., 425. Houses, 77. The property is divided between two. Burton Hall is the seat of W. W. Congreve, Esq. Coal is worked in a mine running far beneath the estuary of the Dee. An hospital was founded at Denwall by Bishop Savensby, and given to the church of St. John in Lichfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £54. Patron, W. W. Congreve, Esq. The church is tolerable. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £35 a year. Bishop T. Wilson was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York