Bromborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Brimstage.
Alternative names: Bromborow, Bromborrow, Brombro
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Nether Bebington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROMBOROUGH, a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, 4½ miles S by E of Birkenhead; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chester. It had formerly a weekly market; and it adjoins the Eastham ferry on the Mersey. Acres, 2,600; of which 1,080 are water. Real property, £8,210. Pop., 1,094. Houses, 198. The parish includes also the township of Brimstage. Acres, 3,612. Real property, £9,632. Pop., 1,279. Houses, 229. The manor belongs to S. Mainwaring, Esq. Bromborough Hall is the seat of R. Rankin, Esq. Bromborough Pool, a creek of the Mersey, is occupied by the Liverpool floating gunpowder magazines; and has on its shore the establishment of Price’s Patent Candle Company. A small priory was founded at Bromborough, about 902, by Ethelfleda. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £230. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church was rebuilt, in the early English style, in 1865, at a cost of £5,000. There are two chapels of ease, a large national school built in 1869 at a cost of £2,000, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York