Brereton cum Smethwick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Smethwick.
Alternative names: Brereton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1593
Nonconformists include: Calvinist and Independent/Congregational.
- Church Hulme
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRERETON-CUM-SMETHWICK, a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire; on the river Croke, 2 miles SE of Holmes-Chapel r. station, and 3 NE by N of Sandbach. It has a post office, of the name of Brereton, under Congleton; and is a seat of petty sessions. Acres, 4,501. Real property, £7,801. Pop., 592. Houses, 104. The property is subdivided. Brereton Hall was built by Sir W. Brereton, the parliamentary leader; and is now the seat of the Howards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £681. Patron, Mrs. E. Royds. The church is later English, and good; and there are three dissenting chapels. A school has £8; and other charities £19.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Congleton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Middlewich
- Poor Law Union: Congleton
- Hundred: Northwich
- Province: York