Bowdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Dunham Massey, Sinderland, Oldfield, Hale, Dunham Woodhouse, Dunham Town, Timperley, Bollington near Altrincham, Bollington, Ashley, Agden, and Acton.
Alternative names: Bowden
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1628
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Parish registers: 1849
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ashton upon Mersey
- Eccles, Lancashire
- Flixton, Lancashire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOWDON, or Bowden, a village, a township, and a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the Roman road from Kinderton, adjacent to the Manchester, Knutsford, and Northwich railway, near the river Bollin, ¼ of a mile SW of Altrincham; and it has a station on the railway, with refreshment rooms and telegraph, and a post office under Manchester. It enjoys fine air and charming environs; and is a favourite resort of ruralizing parties from Manchester. The township includes the village, and comprises 828 acres. Real property, £14,322. Pop., 1,827. Houses, 301. The parish contains also the townships of Altrincham, Baguley, Timperley, Hale, Ashley, Dunham-Massey, Carrington, Partington, and Bollington. Acres, 17,971. Real property, £90,900. Pop., 14,822. Houses, 2,779. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to the priory of Birkenhead; and was given, by Henry VIII., to the see of Chester. Dunham Park is the seat of the Earl of Stamford, and has fine grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £460. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church stands on elevated ground; was rebuilt after the model of the previous one, in the later English style, in 1860, at a cost of about £12,000; and comprises nave, chancel, aisles, transepts, chapel, and vestry, with a tower. The p. curacy of St. John is a separate charge, constituted in 1866. Patron, the Bishop ofThe church was completed in 1867, at a cost of £5,350; and is in the early English style, and cruciform. The chapelries of Altrincham, Carrington, Dunham-Massey, Ringway, and Timperley, are separate benefices. There are numerous dissenting-chapels, numerous public schools, and charities £414.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York