Bollington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1842 from Prestbury Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Bollington near Macclesfield
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1834
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1841
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOLLINGTON, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the river Bollin, the Macclesfield canal, and the Macclesfield and Manchester railway, 3 miles N by E of Macclesfield; and has a post office under Macclesfield. Acres, 1,184. Real property, £16,184; of which £1,373 are in freestone and slate quarries. Pop., 3,439. Houses, 1,108. The property is subdivided. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in quarries, collieries, and silk and cotton factories. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; and was constituted in 1835. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £190. Patron, the Vicar of Prestbury. The church was built in 1834, at a cost of £4,000; and is in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel in the early second pointed style, built in 1868, three other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and two national schools. The subdistrict comprises five townships. Acres, 8,676. Pop., 10,357. Houses, 2,243.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Macclesfield
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham Macclesfield
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York