Bidston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Moreton cum Lingham, Saughall Massie, Saughall Massey, Saughan Massie, Moreton, Claughton with Grange, and Claughton cum Grange.
Alternative names: Bidston cum Ford, Bidston with Ford, Bidstone, Bidstone cum Ford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1581
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BIDSTONE. a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire ‘The township lies on the Hoylake railway, 3 miles WNW of Birkenhead; and has a railway station. Acres, 1,689. Real property, £3,062. Pop., 282. Houses, 48. The parish includes also the townships of Moreton-cum-Lingham, Claughton-cum-Grange, and Saughall-Massey or Saughan-Massie; and its Post Town is Birkenhead. Acres, 4,248. Real property, £20,130. Pop., 2,154. Houses, 323. The property is subdivided. Bidstone Hill commands a fine view of the surrounding country, the Mersey, and the Irish sea. A lighthouse, 50 feet high, stands on the hill, showing a fixed light, elevated 300 feet above high-water, visible at the distance of 23 miles, and leading, when in line with Leasowe light, through the Horse channel at the Mersey’s mouth; and a telegraph was adjacent, communicating eastward with Liverpool, and westward, through a chain, with Holyhead. Waterworks for Birkenhead, and a cemetery with two chapels, were being formed in Bidstone in 1862. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £98. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is excellent. Claughton and Moreton are separate benefices. A school has an endowed income of £15, and other charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BIDSTONE, a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester; comprising the townships of Bidstone with Ford, Moreton with Lingham, and Saughall-Massey; and containing, according to the census of 1841, 773 inhabitants, of whom 291 are in Bidstone with Ford, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Birkenhead. The manor, which was parcel of the barony of Dunham-Massey, was sold by the Masseys to Henry, Earl of Lancaster, and, having been given in exchange to Sir Roger Le Strange, passed by a female heir to the Stanleys, earls of Derby. It afterwards came by purchase to the Earl of Kingston, and to the Vyner family. The parish comprises 3630 acres, of which 106 are common or waste: in Bidstone with Ford are 1777 acres, of a light and a clayey soil. On an elevated site is a lighthouse, which was purchased by the corporation of Liverpool, under an act obtained in 1762, and is supported by a duty levied on all vessels sailing to and from that port. Bidstone Hall, an ancient mansion, was a seat of the earls of Derby, and is said to have been a favourite residence of the Earl William, chamberlain of Chester in the reign of James I. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patrons, the family of Keene; appropriator, the Bishop of Chester, whose tithes have been commuted for £455. The church is of the date 1547: over the gateway of the tower are some old armorial bearings of the Stanley family; and from its summit are extensive views embracing the Welsh mountains and river Dee, westward; southward, the county of Chester; eastward, the Mersey, Liverpool, and Everton; and northward, the Channel, bounding the horizon. These objects are also viewed from the top of the lighthouse. A school is endowed with £15 per annum, and a house and garden for the master.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York