Barthomley Cheshire & Staffordshire Family History Guide

Barthomley is an Ancient Parish mostly in Cheshire and partly in Staffordshire.

The parish includes also the townships of Crewe, Haslington, and Alsager in Cheshire, and the township of Batterley in Staffordshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1562; Separate registers exist for

  • Alsager: 1789
  • Crewe: 1846

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Parishes adjacent to Barthomley

  • Weston
  • Audley
  • Wybunbury
  • Betley

Historical Descriptions

Barthomley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BARTHOMLEY, a township in Nantwich district, Cheshire, and a parish in Nantwich and Congleton districts, Cheshire, and in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the North Stafford railway, 1 mile S by W of Radway-Green station, and 5 SE of Crewe; and has a post office under Crewe. Acres, 1,982. Real property, £3,164. Pop., 416. Houses, 78. The parish includes also the townships of Crewe, Haslington, and Alsager in Cheshire, and the township of Batterley in Staffordshire. Acres, 11,035. Real property, £19,825. Pop., 3,002. Houses, 572. The property is not much divided. Barthomley Hall, on Alsager Heath, is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £824. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Lord Crewe. The church is an ancient edifice, with Norman porch and richly carved roof, the latter put up in 1589; and it was the scene of a tragical onslanght, in 1643, by a troop of Lord Byron. A school has an endowed income of £10, and other charities £41. The chapelries of Alsager, Crewe-Green, and Haslington, are separate benefices.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Alsager

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALSAGER, a chapelry in Barthomley parish, Cheshire; near the river Wenlock, the Grand Trunk canal, and the North Stafford railway, 4¼ miles SSE of Sandbach. It has a station on the railway, about a mile distant; and its Post Town is Lawton, under Stoke-on-Trent. Acres, 2,184. Real property, £4,202. Pop., 703. Houses, 139. Part of the land was a common, recently enclosed. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100. Patrons, the proprietors of the manor. There is a Wesleyan chapel of 1869. Charities, £41.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Crewe or Crewe Green

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CREWE, a township and a chapelry in Barthomley parish, Cheshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Weaver, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 1¼ mile E of the town of Crewe. It gives name and title to the noble family of Crewe. Post town, Crewe. Acres, 1,193. Real property, £3,826. Pop., 387. Houses, 61. Crewe Hall, the seat of Lord Crewe, was built in the time of James I. after designs by Inigo Jones; was destroyed by fire in 1866; was variously restored, rebuilt, and enlarged, in 1867-9; and is surmounted by a tower. The chapelry was constituted in 1857; bears the name of Crewe-Green; and is conterminate with the township. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Chester. Value, £150. Patron, Lord Crewe.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records - Cheshire

FamilySearch Historical Records - Staffordshire

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps:

Barthomley

Alsager

Crewe Green

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Nantwich
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Nantwich
  • Poor Law Union: Nantwich
  • Hundred: North Pirehill
  • Province: Canterbury